[texbirds] Kayaking CBCs

  • From: Bruce Bodson <bruce.bodson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:18:52 -0800 (PST)

As usual, I am looking for people interested in participating in a few CBCs by
water.  The bird counts to be done by kayak/canoe are as follows:

Old River: December 27.  Distance is about 12 -13
miles, depending on side channel exploration   We meet
at about 07:00 at Champions Lake or the 455 crossing, depending on how many
boats/vehicles etc.   Generally we take all day on this.  There
is a countdown dinner at Iguana Joes in Baytown, after the trip.  This is
the gentlest of the trips, suitable for children of all ages, as they
say.  No portages or serious hazards.

Trinity River: December 30.  Distance is 19 miles, with
no real side channel opportunities.  We meet at about
07:00, usually at the SH 105 crossing on the Trinity and shuttle up to the 787
crossing, south of Romayor for put in.  This is a fairly long haul, but
with the current, it is usually pretty easy finish it before dark.  There
is a dinner at the Plantation in Cleveland after the count.  No portages
or serious hazards, though the Trinity is a bit of an obstacle course in some
areas- logs and snags mostly.

San Jacinto Wilderness: January 4.  Distance is usually
about 14-15 miles and involves some combination of Peach Creek, Caney Creek and
the East Fort of the San Jacinto, around Lake Houston Wilderness Park.  I
have not verified the launch points yet, but anticipate using the one in the
park.  This one usually takes the whole day also.  There is a
countdown dinner at some local restaurant, but I do not believe that David has
designated the location yet.  No serious obstacles but there can be a few
short pull-overs on Peach Creek.  Be prepared to get out of your boat.

Please feel free to circulate this to anyone you think may
be both interested and up to it.  KMZ files of the routes are available.

Bruce Bodson
Missouri City, TX