[texbirds] Interesting Texbird post on Barred Owl

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:57:18 +0000

A recent Texbird post included what appears to be a Barred Owl being eaten by
an Alligator at Brazos Bend State Park. Who would have thought that an
Alligator could be a Barred Owl predator. I think this photo and associated
data and details would be appropriate  for a scientific journal note. I checked
Birds of North America and found that Alligators was not a listed cause of
mortality for the species. Then, under the food habits section, I found the
following which I quote:

Known to perch over water and drop to capture fish (Smith et al. 1983).
Observed wading in shallow water to capture fish and crayfish (M. Gibson pers.
comm.). Reported to hunt from the ground, running and pouncing on prey such as
amphibians (Dunstan and Sample 1972, Elderkin 1987, KMM).

Given that behavior and also knowing how many Barred Owl pellets I have seen
that were pure crawfish exoskeletons I suspect this might happen far more often
than I would have ever thought.

Texbirds can teach us all something every day.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377

Harris County Precinct 3