[texbirds] Identifying winter hummingbirds

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:42:02 +0000

This special birding program will be December 6 at 10 AM. Sumita Prasad will
instruct us in the finer points of identifying hummingbirds. On the Upper Texas
Coast winter often brings eight species of hummers to spend the winter.
Identification can often be a challenge with molting and immature birds. She
will present a good deal of information not found in field guides especially
regarding the separation of Allen's and Rufous Hummingbirds.
Before the program from 8-9:30 AM, she will attempt to catch some of our
wintering hummingbirds. If we are successful you will get to see some of the
key identification elements on these live birds.

Save the date for a special Dec 20th program by Fred Collins on planning a big
year.

In January we will begin a new birding series on Wednesday afternoons about
1:30 PM. Please let us know if this is something you are interested in
attending. What topics you would like to see covered?

These programs are free and open to the public and will be held at

Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road
Tomball, TX 77484

Fred Collins