[texbirds] Iceland Gull Photo

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:53:05 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,

A photograph taken by Jim Stevenson of what we believe to be an Iceland Gull
can be found at the following link to my fledgling Flickr site.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58107870@N07/

Jim found the bird this morning and showed it to me late this afternoon.  Have
not gotten the specialty guides out yet to go through this one feather by
feather, but I think it is a strong enough candidate to post.  Encouraged Jim
to take some flight shots as these light gulls are so affected by wear this
time of year (Alan Wormington correctly cautioned me tonight about this) that
it makes things tricky.  But the structure, size and plumage sure look good.

The bird was found on the beach side of the pass in the morning.  when I called
Jim at 4PM he did not have it.  But he did have a Thayer's Gull.  By the time I
got there the Iceland was back and allowed very close approach.  Jim has many
more photos which I have not yet seen.  While trying to refind the Thayer's, I
found a large flock of about 500 large gulls on the bay side.  Towards dusk I
found the Iceland there along with 4 Lesser-backed Gulls.

Will be back in the morning with my camera.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson