[texbirds] Hutton's Vireo in Tom Green County

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 15:49:43 -0500

Texbirders,
Two days ago while helping set up nets for the spring banding season at
Hummer House near Christoval, Charles Floyd and I heard a Hutton's Vireo
singing.  We located the bird southwest of the Hummer House complex and saw
a silhouette high up in the live oaks but after it quit singing we could
not relocate it.  Despite being in the area all day yesterday we did not
hear it sing again; however we did not do a search pattern for the bird.

Then today at about 10:00 am as we were wrapping up our banding session due
to an approaching storm front and wind shift, it was singing again along
the service road on the west side of the complex.  This time we got
excellent looks at the bird as it sang for more than 10 minutes.  Once
again when it quit singing it was quickly lost in the tree tops.  It was
foraging in the oak canopy with Yellow-throated Vireos, Yellow-rumped
Wablers, and Red-breasted Nuthatches.  Hummer House is located very near
the South Concho River about 2 miles south of Christoval in south-central
Tom Green County.

It looks like there may be no limit (other than habitat type) as to where
this species may end up during this range expansion coming out of the hill
country.

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/