[texbirds] Re: Hummingbird Cam

  • From: brycehardway21@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx" <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:15:03 -0500

I think it all depends on how you keep your lists. I for one, have to see it or
hear it in person to count it. I just watch the webcam to drool over the birds
we don't quite get in Austin (White-eared Hummer)

Bryce Hardway
Lago Vista

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 24, 2015, at 7:11 PM, Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why not count them. I had a crimson-collared grosbeak on the Sable Palm Cam
that no one else saw and it is a good record. Can be submitted to ebird
anyway. Might not be so good on ebird if all cam watchers submitted each
bird coming to the feeder.
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Robert Reeves <birder.reeves@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I don't think anyone meant that a video am sighting would count on an ABA
list.
Robert Reeves
Pflugerville, TX

On Thursday, September 24, 2015, Andrew M. Orgill <aorgill@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

How would adding these birds to one's life list work? I have no
intentions of adding these species seen via webcam to mine as I would
have
had 4 lifers and 5 year listers today had I done so - my list is of
birds I
have seen or heard in person. I did some research and found the below
quotation on the ABA website as far as criteria for what is acceptable to
be "countable". It says the encounter must be seen or heard live and not
remotely...unless the list is defined to include remote birds. Adding
birds seen over this webcam to a life or year list seems like a little
of a
stretch to me but I found it interesting that it says "except for lists
defined to include birds seen remotely"...

The below is copied and pasted from the ABA website:

C. “Encounter” means seen and/or heard live and not remotely.
(i) A bird seen on a webcam or other remote camera may not be counted,
except for lists specifically defined to include birds seen remotely.
(ii) A bird heard via a sound augmentation device may be counted only if
the recorder is present at the location of the device and hears the
vocalization in real-time.

Andrew Orgill
Nueces county TX

---- Joe and Renee Fischer <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <javascript:;>>
wrote:
Pretty nice, but I can imagine the anxiety when someone sees a
Berylline
or Violet-Crowned as there will not doubt be a small stampede that wants
add it to their Texas or life list and not know the exact location! Â The
cam detail is pretty darn good on my large iMAC screen! Joe
Fischerwww.joefischerphotography.com