[texbirds] Houston CBC 2014 Preliminary Results

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Stenmead@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:42:39 -0500

Houston CBC leaders and participants, many returning and some new, had good
 weather and excellent results on count day, Sunday, 12-14-2014!

Many of the rarities are documented with photographs and I've received good
 field notes for the others! Thank you all for an excellent birding effort!
One  area report is being mailed to me.

The Houston CBC species count clearly demonstrates the bird conservation
value of high quality habitat preserves and patches in urban areas. Good work
 all!

Hope to see you next year!

166 species were reported at the count down dinner with 151 expected
species, including Boat-tailed Grackles!

Rarities included:

Rufus Hummingbird
Winter Wren
Great-Black Backed Gull
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-tailed Kite
Harris Sparrow
Virginia Rail
Orchard Oriole
Vermillion Flycatcher
American Woodcock
American Redstart
Wilson's Warbler
Scaly Breasted Munia
Hairy Woodpecker

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

ps And for count week on 12-15-2014 at the Baytown Nature Center a Nelson's
 Sparrow!

Also Cin-Ty reported a Surf Scoter, Lesser Black-backed Gull and 3 Thayer's
 gull from Thompson Bait Camp on Tri City Beach Rd., Baytown today
12-16-2014