[texbirds] Home and Hermann Park birding

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:16:30 -0600

The barred owls are starting to really tune up during the night and late
afternoon as well. Of course that means that the male bird is starting to
whap my window at 2am again. He uses his knuckles on his image which really
wakes one up. Appears to have been eating frog based on the slime outline
of his feet on the glass. He does come by the feeder during the day and has
exterminated by fox squirrels who travel a long way to my balcony before
sunrise. Many gray squirrels gone too.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158912842

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158912841

The red-tailed hawks are starting to visit the nest tree every few days for
a bit but are not around most of the time.

Cooper's hawks keep the large robin and waxwing flock on the move. They
move into the laurel cherries and feast until the hawks arrive and they
move on

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158912844

Its coming up on traditional purple finch time in the yard until the latest
hiatus in the visit which has lasted 30 years this month. A male house
finch catches my attention

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158912845

Stopped by the Hermann Park lagoon on Monday which was a little crowded but
the birds were still there. Lots of coots, ring-necked ducks, a pair of
redheads, female canvasback etc joining the herd of black-bellied whistling
ducks

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914543

The small nesting group of black-crowned night herons still hangs on

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914544

Both cormorant species were present

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914549

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914545

The redhead pair appears not to have the pochard genes that some birds in
the park have had in the past

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914714

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914717

Lots of ring-necked ducks around

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914728

With a little patience you can get a good look at the ring on the neck

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914733

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914737

But the best field mark is the ring around the bill

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914735

This bird was very camera shy

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914730

A little bread goes a long way in getting close to the ducks

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914725

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914726

The newly arrived Egyptian geese wasted no time in setting up housekeeping

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914546

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/158914547

Lots of the black-bellied whistling ducks in the area also come from late
broods and they are doing well.

There was a large flock of land birds that included a high pitched chip
note that I did not recognize but could not spot the bird before they moved
on so I have to go back for that one.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston