[texbirds] Higlights from the Plains I Breeding Bird Survey today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:28:38 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I completed the Plain I BBS this morning (23 June 2013) and had no lucking
kicking up any highlights from the route itself.  The two things working
against me: this portion of Yoakum County has not been the beneficiary of
recent rains and crittering, altogether was very slow (five points in a row
yielded no wildlife at all!) and - very bad news - the one dependable chunk of
prairie for Lesser Prairie Chickens on the route has been put to the plow.  The
site has featured a small lek for the last eight years - and is now gone - this
is typical of my experience with the species' habitat in my part of Texas and I
have a very hard time believing that there is any genuine government (state
level) interest in preserving the species.

Incidental highlights during the day: 4 Black-necked Stilts and 2 American
Avocets at the Tokio Playa (Terry County) and 1 Purple Martin over Brownfield
(Terry County).

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock