[texbirds] Highlights from the Floydada BBS

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:13:08 -0500

Greetings All:
After the late night activities of Friday followed by the early morning
activities of Saturday (honestly, I sometimes wonder why I bother to sleep)
I had a rugged time of it finishing off another BBS this morning.  I only
have this weekend and the next left to finish off two surveys, though, so
it was off to the Floydada BBS (running east from a point north of Floydada
to the Caprock Escarpment, south for a ways, and then west back towards
Floydada) for me at 4:10 AM!

Yeesh!!

Highlights from the route (all in Floyd County): 2 Blue-winged Teals north
of Floydada, 2 Green-winged Teals northeast of Floydada, 1 female and 1
male Common Yellowthroats at a willow-lined pond northeast of Floydada, 2
American Avocets northeast of Floydada, 2 Common Ravens northwest of
Dougherty, 1 Eastern Phoebe northwest of Dougherty, 2 White-faced Ibises/2
Black-necked Stilts/6 American Avocets/6 Wilson's Phalaropes north of
Dougherty, and 1 Cattle Egret east of Floydada.

Highlights from after the survey: 4 Black-necked Stilts/6 American Avocets
south of Floydada (Floyd County), 1 Great Egret southwest of Floydada
(Floyd County), 2 Purple Martins in Cone (Crosby County).

That's actually quite good for my region in June and the addition of a
Strecker's Giant Skipper - in some remnant prairie east of Floydada - made
the day a sterling success!

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson, Lubbock