[texbirds] Highlights from Reese Center today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:42:20 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
Kristen Linner's discovery of a Yellow-throated Warbler and Steve Collin's
report of numerous and varied shorebirds from the site prompted me to check on
public access to the pond/picnic area along Quitsna Avenue - just inside the
Reese Center fence and JUST inside my local patch for the ongoing local patch
challenge.  I believe that I could walk roughly fifty meters westward from the
pond before exiting my patch ... but the pond is in!

I tallied 36 species earlier this prevening and the only thing present
yesterday that was not present today was the Willet reported by Steve Collins.
My highlights included: 6 Black-necked Stilts, 21 American Avocets, 1 Spotted
Sandpiper, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Western Sandpipers, 7 Least Sandpipers, 2
White-rumped Sandpipers (which seem a tad early to me), 7 Long-billed
Dowitchers, 12 Wilson's Phalaropes, 1 Tree Swallow (amidst the hordes of Barn
Swallows), 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, 1 Yellow-throated Warbler (traveling with
a small group of Yellow-rumped Warblers and siskins), 2 Clay-colored Sparrows,
and 7 Pine Siskins.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock