[texbirds] Highlights from Clapp Park this morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:30:32 -0500

Greetings All:
I spent two hours at a still-too-flooded-for-shorebirds Clapp Park this
morning, generating the following highlights: 3 Great Egrets, 11 Snowy
Egrets, 1 Cattle Egret, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, and 2 Cave Swallows.

Egrets are really starting to pile up here (guess the high water and
plentiful fish are good for something) and I have hopes for a nifty
post-breeding wader of some sort soon. The site has lured in Little Blue
Heron, Tricolored Heron, and White Ibis in the past.

Swallows are also starting to pile up: I pulled the two Cave Swallows out
of a horde of Cliff and Barn Swallows chasing bugs over the playa/marsh.
The Cave Swallows were, surprisingly, new to my site list for the year,
creeping me up to 142 species of bird at Clapp Park in 2015.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock