[texbirds] Hawks this evening 11/1/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 21:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, I will not bore you with any more Hawk Watch stuff so here goes. Jan
and I left the Tower and decided to drive East down FM 1985 towards Hi-124
around and back West on FM 1941 up to Fairmont and back home. The Whittle's
had  told us about a couple of Juvie White-tailed Hawks close to the
intersection of  FM 1985 and H-124 and both were still there although up pretty
high. Not much on  H-124 but on FM 1941 we found another White-tailed Hawk this
one an adult. There  were several Red-tailed Hawks and Am Kestrels as well.
Up closer to where Pear  Orchard hits FM 1941 there were two flooded grain
fields (milo or maize I think)  both with lots of water. One had absolutely
hundreds of Tree Swallows dipping  over the water and the next was pretty
full of what appeared to be White-faced  Ibis. Jan was getting tired and ready
to get home so we did not stop and scope  them.

I also received a text forwarded by Tony a little while ago saying the
Whittle's had spotted the white faced Krieder's Hawk sitting on the same tower
on the North side of FM 1985 across from the East Unit.that we first saw it
on.  So it is still around. They also said the same thing that we noticed.
It was  very spooky and could not get near it.

Three photos, the first is Tony's either record tying or record breaking
Osprey carrying a large fish.
http://smu.gs/1aPklMa

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area