[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 1 November

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 19:19:09 -0500

Hey:
Well, the last month of this season's count has started and we'll be going
through the 15th, so if you thought that you'd like to visit the HW and you
haven't made it yet, better get your butt in gear!

'Twas a slow-starter, today, with a N Harrier before 8 am and no raptors
between 8 and 9.  But, then I found the second countable raptor of the day, and
suddenly all was good.  Not only was that second raptor the first Broad-winged
Hawk of the month, it was also the first DARK Broad-winged Hawk if the month!
The Hansons, the Whittles, Joe, and I would notch two more for the day giving
us a daily total that would have been considered spectacular just two weeks ago!

However, the hawk day would turn out slow, with the wind sliding around the
compass from the beginning NE all the way to S by mid-afternoon.  That is, slow
for raptors, but ut was my most-speciose day of the fall, as I tallied 79
species.  Landbird migrants are not the typical key to a big day here,
waterbirds are, and the six sp of waterfowl, five of herons, and four of gulls
helped a lot.  American White Pelican was the big mover if the day in two
senses, as I counted 523 in 26 flocks.  Landbirds did provide some spice, with
an imm female Vermilion Flycatcher (found by Dave Hanson), the continuing
female Pileated Woodpecker, and a Western Palm Warbler.

The most important of the migrating raptors tallied was the first if two
Ospreys, which broke the previous seasonal record of 93.  I'm hoping that we'll
be able to nudge the tally over the century mark.  I find it interesting that
in a relatively poor season, I broke the records for two species that, not all
that long ago, were in serious jeopardy.  (As an aside, my friend counting at
the Florida Keys HW sent me a pic from today of their 4000th Peregrine of the
season!)

Raptors counted:
Turkey Vulture - 21
Osprey - 2
Mississippi Kite - 1 (juvenile with lots of R wing feathers missing)
Northern Harrier - 16
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 6
Cooper's Hawk - 7
Broad-winged Hawk - 94 (3 dark)
American Kestrel - 2
Merlin - 1 (juvenile male)
Total - 150 (seasonal total of 41,070)

If you come to Smith Point for hawk-watching, you'll want to come on a day with
N winds after the passage of a cold front.  Hmm, like tomorrow.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX