[texbirds] Harlan's Hawk is a rufous morph red-tailed hawks

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:17:00 -0600

All the pictures I have posted of a tame harlan's hawk at Anahuac last week
is actually an immature rufous phase red-tailed hawk. Every time I think
that I can ID some of this group of birds, a new version pops up like this
bird.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502646
So all are now relabeled.

Got a note from Bill Clark correcting the ID. In his note he showed how to
tell the species or subspecies apart

"

Thanks for the nice raptor pics. The Swainson's was particularly
interesting. But...

This dark juvenile is a rufous-morph Red-tail, not a dark juvie Harlan's.
The dark throat and the last dark tail band right on the tip are field
marks for this and are not correct for Harlan's."

Its great that we such great assistance in id's on this listserve.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston