[texbirds] Grimes/Waller County- 4/13

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Texbirders,
Sunday morning I birded with a birder from the UK in southern Grimes County and
northern Waller County. The main target bird was Swainson's Warbler. We
obtained great looks at two Swainson's Warblers and heard two others singing.
At one point in northern Waller County we heard 6 breeding warbler species
singing simultaneously in a small area. One Kentucky, 2 Hoodeds, 2
Black-and-whites, 2 Swainson's, 2 Pines, and a Northern Parula were singing on
territory. We found other warblers scattered about in other locations in both
counties.
Here's our list for the morning.
Black-bellied Whistling Duck- 2
Mourning Dove
Chuck-will's-widow- one calling on territory in Grimes County
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker- 2
Eastern Phoebe- on territory in Grimes County
Acadian Flycatcher- 2
Great Crested Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo- 3
Red-eyed Vireo- 3
Blue Jay
American Crow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher- 2(including one singing)
Kentucky Warbler- one
Swainson's Warbler- 4
Hooded Warbler- 6+
Yellow-rumped Warbler- 8+