[texbirds] Grimes County 4/13/14

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:49:28 -0700 (PDT)

I spent yesterday afternoon looping through Grimes County.  Because there are
not a lot of reports from the county, I thought some might find this report
interesting.  I did not stop at Gibbons Creek Reservoir, probably the only
major birding stop in the county, as it was raining too heavily at the time and
I did not feel it would be worth the entry fee under those conditions.  I
basically drove north from Navasota on 3090 until it hits 244, then took 244
north to 162, then took 162 west to the Navasota River (which marks the
Brazos-Grimes county line.  I found the Navasota River bottom along 162 to be
quite intriguing with good potential to kick out something interesting, though
it was a bit quiet when I was there.  In general, a lot summer breeders have
yet to arrive and there were fewer migrants around than I had hoped.  Though,
there was some good movement of Broad-wingeds Hawks pretty everywhere during my
journey from Austin to Grimes County and
 back.  My list for the county:
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  1
Wood Duck  1
Blue-winged Teal  11