[texbirds] Granger Lake area, Williamson County Highlights on 1/11/15

  • From: "Rich Kostecke" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rkost73@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 04:43:29 +0000 (UTC)

While the Striped Sparrow was certainly the top prize from my birding efforts
in the Granger Lake area on 1/11/15, I actually had a really excellent day of
birding with several more expected and less bizarre highlights (see below).
Full checklists have been submitted to eBird.  I didn't find any Mountain
Plovers or longspurs, though.
Snow Goose - 1, continuing bird, Murphy Park, Taylor
Eared Grebe - 3 from Friendship Park, 31 from the overlook on Granger Lake
DamBlack-crowned Night-heron - 2 adults Murphy Park, TaylorOsprey - 1 Murphy
Park, TaylorBonaparte's Gull - 3 Sorefinger WMAHerring Gull - 2 loafing on the
floats at the swimming beach at Friendship ParkLesser Black-backed Gull - 1
possible (maybe probable?), 1st cycle, loafing on the floats at the swimming
beach at Friendship Park (it would be great to get some follow up on this bird
including photos of the rump and of the bird in flight to help rule out an odd
Herring Gull)
Burrowing Owl - 1 CR352 culvert just south of megafieldRed-headed Woodpecker -
1 CR 428 (Striped Sparrow spot)Merlin - 1 Taylor, over Loop 397White-breasted
Nuthatch - 1 CR 428 (Striped Sparrow spot)Rusty Blackbird - 10 Willis Creek WMA
along CR348
 Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy