[texbirds] Golden-cheeked Warblers, Warbler Vista

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:21:04 -0500

I walked the Cactus Rock Trail at Warbler Vista, Balcones National Wildlife
Refuge, Travis County today.  I started around 1030 hours by taking the
lower leg from the first parking lot.   Just a little way in I heard two
Golden-cheeked counter-singing what most sources call the B-song.  I got a
look at one of them.  Further down far enough that I feel confident to say
a third individual was singing B-song.  I got a look at this one as well as
a female nor much further down.
At this point I recorded what I believe was a Black-capped Vireo but it was
distant and not seen and I have not been able to review my feed yet.

As I rounded the turning point I recorded a 4th male, this one singing a 4
phrase A-song.  I took the cut back to the black-top and heard at least 2
individuals singing B-song but did not count them as they could have been
the first ones I recorded.  I drove to the overlook and had a field sparrow
singing emphatically and another Golden-cheek singing B-song again.

All together my estimation is a minimum of 5 males singing and a female
over the course of 2 hours.

Ronnie Kramer, Travis County