[texbirds] Re: Golden-cheeked Warbler song [GCWA]

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 08:41:04 -0500

Ronnie,

That truly is a weird Golden-cheeked song.  The last song phrase on your
recording adds a couple of extra notes which gives me clues as to what’s
happening.

It is a poorly formed “B” song, the phrase for which I use is “please PLEASE
your TEA-cher”.  Your singer just utters the first three notes; the clear
broken (dropping) third note being the “your” (a poor word substitute in this
case).

In my experience, these poorly formed songs are almost invariably uttered by
second-year males, i.e. one-year-olds.  Among “A” songs of the GCWA, this is
commonly expressed as fewer (e.g. 3 or 4) buzzes going up the scale whereas
older birds commonly utter 5 to 8 buzzes.  In the more complex B song, it is
evidenced by simply mal-formed song patterns.

Did you happen to study the singing male closely enough to age the male?  Most
second-year males will have a slightly less extensive black throat and bib and
may show green streaking in the crown and/or back.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at