[texbirds] Glossy Ibis YES

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:04:27 -0500

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs and I made another run out to Hargill Playa to see if we could
find the reported Sanderling (found two Western Sandpipers instead) and ran
into Jim Hailey, who had just seen the Collared Plover, but he never
reappeared for us (Reddish Egret and female Pintail were still around,
though). So we then went over to south Brushline where after much scrutiny
we DID find the breeding-plumaged Glossy Ibis (he finally slowed down enough
so that I could see his gray face to my satisfaction J), and Pat spotted the
Purple Gallinule out in the open! Also fun was a Peregrine Falcon circling
overhead! Other interesting finds were a female Vermilion Flycatcher at the
ibis spot, and a Solitary Sandpiper in another pond just south of there. A
Yellow-crowned Night Heron on north Brushline was new for my La Sal del Rey
list!

A few photos and a recording of the upset stilts can be seen and listened to
here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/July/Hargill%20
Part%203.html

.or here:

http://tinyurl.com/oc7dyv9

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Northern Pintail Anas acuta

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Least Grebe Tachybaptus dominicus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Green Heron Butorides virescens

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron Nyctanassa violacea

Glossy Ibis Plegadis falcinellus

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus

Purple Gallinule Porphyrio martinicus

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

Snowy Plover Charadrius nivosus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Solitary Sandpiper Tringa solitaria

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Stilt Sandpiper Calidris himantopus

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Black Tern Chlidonias niger

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus

Vermilion Flycatcher Pyrocephalus rubinus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Couch's Kingbird Tyrannus couchii

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

Purple Martin Progne subis

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Pyrrhuloxia Cardinalis sinuatus

Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

78 SPECIES