[texbirds] Galveston's Lafitte's Cove, Dos Vacas, and San Louis Pass 11/16/12

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 13:37:50 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday after working a few hours at Lafittes Cove Jan and I hung around
a few minutes and did a little birding. We saw Red-breasted Nuthatches,
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Golden-crowned Kinglets and American Robins. We also
had  fly over Red-tailed Hawk and Brown Pelicans.

We then headed down and visited Dos Vacas for a few minutes where were
there were lots of mockingbirds, a Loggerhead Shrike and one Thrush which I was
 never able to get enough of a look at to ID. We watched the Shrike catch
and eat  a large dragonfly and then impale a spider on a twig to eat later.

Lastly we visited San Louis Pass where we found a number of shore birds but
 very few Gulls or Terns. There were Red Knots, Sanderlings, Black-bellied
Plovers, Dunlins, Ruddy Turnstones, Western Sandpipers, American Avocets
and  Great Blue Herons. The Knots were not in a flock but scattered up and
down the  beach front loosely associated with all the other birds. There are
two pictures  here of what I think are probably just more colorful
Black-bellied Plovers but I  am not 100% sure they are not American
Golden-Plovers. I
would be interested in  what others think. The dark head cap is what has me
confused I think.

Some of these are mine and some Jans: 13 pictures
_salliesherman@earthlink.net_ (mailto:salliesherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) ,
_Sarah.Graham@baytown.org_ (mailto:Sarah.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx) ,
_Tracey.Prothro@baytown.org_ (mailto:Tracey.Prothro@xxxxxxxxxxx) ,
_Christina.butcher@baytown.org_ (mailto:Christina.butcher@xxxxxxxxxxx) ,