[texbirds] Galveston and Brazorial county today

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:34:33 -0600

Headed down to galveston to try for the tropical kingbirds early but again
no sign.
About a dozen common loons off 61st in offats bayou with most way down west.

The rough-legged hawk was on its phone pole and let me sit and watch for 15
minutes before it went and fed. In Iowa anyway the usually ate things on
the ground. It came back up after a bit and hunted around the highway and
subdivision before vanishing again. Processed one picture that I like but
have a backlog to do. Rainy days ahead will let me catch up some
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148864089

Drove the beach from entry 6 just across the bridge all the way to surfside
with very little to show for it. Was going to go out on the surfside jetty
to get pictures of all the razorbills but waves were breaking over the top
of most of the jetty and lots of spray and water going over the Quintana
jetty to so the alcids will have to wait a few days.

Both Neotropic and Xeriscape had lots of white-crowned sparrows but not
much else. The wintering american redstart at neotropic was feeding out of
the wind along the ditch at the front of the property.

Went by San Bernard but it was basically birdless other than cranes out
feeding in what used to be wetlands. One sprague's pipit flushed off the
road about 1/2 mile into the auto tour. No land birds other than a few
savannah sparrows and meadowlarks.

Stopped in Pearland at the eagle nest and watched the one adults head for
15 minutes. One small head popped up for a second.

But the rough-leg made it a good day.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston