[texbirds] Boat-tailed vs. Great-tailed Grackle - quiz answers

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:52:59 -0500 (EST)

Very interesting and learning experience. Thanks everyone who sent me
emails.

On my first posted photo I received no correct answers
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148811762_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148811762)
This  is Boat-tailed Grackle - now when grackle males are displaying you
can tell  apart Boat-tailed and Great-tailed noting the wing position. Wings
raised above  back are distinctive for BTGR; GTGR holds wings level). BTW for
example Sibley  included this trait as diagnostic. I have no knowledge of
somebody else question  that and I never observed males from both species
that did not follow this rule.  If somebody did it will be very interesting to
hear about it and perhaps see  some photos and/or hear tape recordings.

Second photo which I posted later brought all correct answers (BTW photo
shows the same bird)
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148820388_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148820388)

Then the third photo again I had no correct answers. Both grackles were
IDed as Great-tailed or, very interesting, people were switching the Ids.
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148822024_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148822024)

I have no doubt that there is much, much  easier to ID grackles in the
field and not from a single photo. On the top of it around here both species
are  in contact zone and often seen together. Personally I have just a
feeling, but  no proof, yet, that these species might hybridize in some places.

As this subject seems not to trigger public discussion I plan to have soon
video/sound uploaded of displaying BTGR males with pale eyes that will be
accessible only by private link. If somebody is interested to see display
and  hear their calls please send me a private email and I will send back the
link,  when ready. Perhaps somebody with good ears can tell if there is a
difference in  these calls compare to calls recorded in  populations where
these two  species are not living together.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)