[texbirds] GOOD WEEK FOR RAPTORS LOCALLY

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:10:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have been seeing a fair number of raptors while driving locally in Pearland
and in Harris County this week, to wit:

Harris County (Clear Lake Area):

While driving south on Space Center Blvd. last Thursday, I saw an adult Crested
Caracara following a tractor as it mowed a large field on the east side of
Ellington Airport.  Also following the tractor were about 200 Cattle Egrets.

Today, while driving south on Space Center Blvd near the intersection with Pine
Haven, a couple of Blue Jays and a couple of Mockingbirds flushed a male
Cooper's Hawk from a tree in the median.

Brazoria County (Pearland, Alvin area):

Two Crested Caracara were seen flying over the field near the intersection of
Magnolia St. and FM 1128 last Saturday.

An adult male Sharp-shinned Hawk flushed from a large tree next to my driveway
as I drove into my driveway yesterday  morning around 11 AM.  First
Sharp-shinned hawk that I have seen in my neighborhood (West Lea) in a year.

A Swainson's Hawk was seen hunting over the median of Highway 35 south bypass
near the intersection with Highway 35 Business north of Alvin yesterday morning
around 12 noon.

Not a raptor, but I did see one lone American White Pelican lounging on the
water in the storm water retention pond near the intersection of Magnolia St.
and FM 1128.  No Roseate Spoonbills were seen, unlike last week, when about 21
were seen in that same pond.

Mira M. Pellerin