[texbirds] Thanks.

  • From: dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:38:04 -0500

Howdy Texbirders,
Yesterday, I completed my goal of bettering my 2012 Texas year list.  When
I got back to Texas on January 17th of this year, after a five month stint
volunteering in Costa Rica, I didn't really think I could better my 437
species list, from 2012.  That number of species for 2012 was attained in
seven months.
After a great late winter and a marvelous spring migration, I decide to try
to beat my best.  Thanks to my partner, Jenni, and to friends Fred Collins
and John Tharp for all of their camaraderie on the road and in the field.
 I also thank all of the many birding friends "who put me on" birds or gave
great directions as to where to find needed species.  I also applaud those
other birders who are striving for their best state, county, or patch list.
 What a wonderful community we are.
Jenni and I will be volunteer teachers in Acadia National Park, starting
September 3rd.  We will return in November, so who knows what will happen.
 As Fred said as we returned from the Valley yesterday, "450 is a nice
round number".
That final bird was a wonderful male White-collared Seedeater singing by
the side of the road.  The temperature was 102 degrees outside as Fred and
I sat in his car (60 degrees inside) and had great looks at number 442.
Dennis
West Houston
Harris County
--