[texbirds] Fwd: Smith Point HW, 13 Sep

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 06:32:51 -0500

> > Hi all:
> >
> > Yesterday's count, like Wednesday's, was hampered by T-storms.  Shortly
before noon, conditions improved and we began to see the start of a hawk
flight (though two of the first four birds of the early AM were juvenile
Peregrines).   At this point, 7 Mississippis, a Broad-wing, a Sharpie, a
juvenile male Northern Harrier, and an adult Swallow-tailed were all in the
sky, only to have a huge system of storms roll in a couple minutes after
noon to shut things down.

> > Today also saw a continuation of yesterday's Cliff Swallow flight, with
298 clicked passing west from about 1 pm to the end of my day.  Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers were also in evidence, with 29 tallied flying past the tower.

> > Raptor totals:
> > Osprey 1
> > Swallow-tailed Kite 1
> > Mississippi Kite 7
> > Northern Harrier 2
> > Sharp-shinned Hawk 6
> > Cooper's Hawk 1
> > Broad-winged Hawk 1
> > Swainson's Hawk 1
> > Peregrine Falcon 2
> >
> > Bird of the Day: Adult light Swainson's Hawk that powered SW by the HW
well out in front and then seen drifting to the NE after it apparently
objected to the water crossing.