[texbirds] Fwd: [SATXbirds] RE: Live Oak - Comments on IDs

  • From: Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 01:07:14 -0500

Well, this is not a Connecticut Warbler. When I see the bird described as
having a bold, complete eye ring, I eagerly looked at the picture, but am still
searching for the referenced mark. How is this a bold, complete eye ring? Hard
to make progress on an identification if we see images so differently...
I think people that see Connecticut realize this beast is in their own league.
They do not look like Mourning or Mac. In spring, the gray is paler (crown
often with just a tinge of remnant olive or brown, especially in SY birds, the
wayward ones we would likely see here) and, regardless of coloration, the white
eye ring is really bold and complete. I did not realize until this email that
this is a relative thing.......Consider the boldest Nashville as a comparative
(this actually gets complicated as SY Nashvilles can be duller). In the
pictured bird, there is a hint of an eye ring, something not that unusual in SY
Mournings. On the head pattern, but I do not understand how anyone can stick
with bold on this. I hope no one would look at that and think, yeah, this is
bold like a bold Nashville. Yes, most Mourning lose this eye ring effect over
winter, but plenty of SY birds show some remnant eye markings, if one studies
this feature. If it were a Mac, the arcs would be bold, oh, shoot, there I go
again...The subtle suggestion of an eye ring in this bird leaves only Mourning
and all other features, including the throat and undertail coverts fit nicely
with that species.

Another thing about Connecticut: unless you are really unlucky, they will walk
for you. (Although really unlucky probable means the people told you they just
had one fly away- any COWA is pretty cool.) Even when I flush them in fall up
at Pt. Pelee, most will walk a few steps before they flee or after they land on
a branch. I have had some in spring that have not walked, but they were sitting
in a bush singing- a good trade. It is understandable that most birders do not
have a great history with something as scarce as a COWA. But, it is a great
reminder that our first aim should be to absolutely master the birds we do see.
Mourning are quite variable (like most species) and the later we go into
migration, the more we are going to see immatures, which means birds that are a
little bit less like the classic pictures in field guides. Enjoy these less
normal birds to help fill in where field guides tend to be less useful. You
will find that most of the things that are not what you first expect are not
the mega rarity you might be hoping for, but they are fun nonetheless!

Matt Heindel
Fair Oaks Ranch, TX