[texbirds] Re: Rufous-capped Warblers at Chalk Bluff Park

  • From: dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cgtimes2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 02:06:21 -0500

Howdy Texbirders,
I thank Charmaine for the post.
On our West Texas run for the past few days, we stopped at Chalk Bluff and
on the 15th, saw two of the birds.  We got a "pure" bird near the boat ramp
and saw the "hybrid" down river from the Pecan Bottom.  On the 14th, while
in our dear tent, we experience the most incredible, indescribable
electrical thunderstorm we have ever witnessed.  Wind and rain pounded us.
 Jenni and I (along with the tent) survived the night.  The warblers were a
great find, but it does take a wee bit of patience.
Dennis
Houston
Harris County

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Collins & Charmaine Ganson <
cgtimes2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2 Rufous-capped warblers & 1 hybrid still at Chalk Bluff Park today. One
> to the left of the boat ramp. The other two (hybrid & normal birds) were
> about 50' in on the trail at the Pecan Bottom. Be patient. Sit down & they
> will come. Both were seen here together & separately most of this morning.
> The right hand side of the trail has the water. They are on the opposite
> side of the bank. They generally stay low to 10' up. They both sing. The
> hybrid does not sound like a Rufous-capped Warbler. As others have said, it
> sound a lot like a Common Yellow throat.
>
> Charmaine Ganson
> Leakey, TX

W. Dennis Shepler