[texbirds] Friday pictures, kestrel, snowy plover and seagulls

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:50:46 -0600

American kestrels are one of the hardest bird to get close pictures. They
appear to have esp and can tell when one plans to take a picture and get a
close look. They fly up the road and perch again and fly again. However,
every 10 years for 10 minutes at 10 in the morning they are required to
perch. Like this bird at Quintana that was catching small critters down in
the grass
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737101
Nothing very fancy but lots of close up pictures
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737090

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737078

Lots more too and there are lots of snowy plover shots too with the large
roost down close to where the old berm comes near the beach
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737029

They were out of the wind on the beach side so made for good looks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737022

Many went out to feed after the gulls went inland but were back asleep
around midday
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737011

The jetty had a single bonaparte's gull
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148736778

Feeding closely with an eared grebe next to the rocks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148736775

A neotropic cormorant had most of its breeding plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148736771

And you have to take pictures of the many lesser black-backed gulls
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148736773

More gulls were on Follett Island
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737105

And a white-tailed kite was on the wires
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737106

The american oystercather also known as good old N1 was up on the texas
city dike. A second bird kept its numbers hidden from the camera
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737605

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737589

Many forster's terns are getting their breeding plumage and colors
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737616

While others are a little more retarded
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737623

The ring-billed gulls are getting red eye rings but still have head stripes
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737634

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737630

Herring gulls are getting their yellow eye rings
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737877

And are starting to do lots of calling
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737874

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737868

Some of the younger birds are starting to get a little less dark
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737872

The glaucous gull was with the gull flock but did not stay long
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737904

The gull headed into the gulf for a swim
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737906

It swam out and vanished in the distance. This is the only time I have seen
a gull swim more than a half mile
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737908

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148737910

It never returned in a couple of hours so I got no other pictures.

I did lots better yesterday with lots of pictures of one of the glaucous
gulls many of which were so close I could only get pictures of part of the
bird. Still have to process them but this one is representative
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148786427

The gull was feeding on the remains of fish that had been cleaned at the
fish cleaning station. Very odd looking fish remains.

Lots more kestrels, snowy plover etc with many more gull pictures to come.
It is seagull time on the UTC.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston