[texbirds] Flame-colored Tanager (or hybrid?) in Boot Canyon

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 23:33:55 -0500

Hi all,
I am passing this along via Arman Moreno, who texted me and several others
a picture of an apparent Flame-colored Tanager he photographed in Boot
Canyon today in Big Bend National Park. The bird is certainly of some FCTA
decent, but given the angle of the picture I saw (only the top half of the
bird from underneath is visible) I can't say for sure the bird is not a
Flame-colored/Western Tanager hybrid, from last summer's apparent pairing
of the two. Arman said the bird was around the ranger cabin near boot
springs, which I think is right around where the FCTA last year was
frequently seen. I know Arman will post his pictures as soon as he's able
to, so watch for that, but he asked me to get the word out for anyone
interested or currently in Big Bend. Also of note, he mentioned he had a
male Golden-winged Warbler on the Pinnacles trail.
Good Birding,
Sam Fason, Austin