[texbirds] Fifth visit to Hale County - 2012 Game

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

 spent eight hours in Hale County yesterday, focussing on parks in the
Plainview area, the 789 corridor, Muleshoe NWR's Hale County property,
Petersburg, and Abernathy.

Conditions were great - coolish in the morning and only up into the high
eighties during the day - and the birds were really popping.  Though not as
damp as my last visit, there were still quite a few tasty playas about and
interesting migrants popped up in interesting spots.

Over
 the course of the day, I tallied 22
species of butterfly, 0 species of amphibian, 4 species of reptile, 84 species
of bird, and 1 species of mammal.  Hale County is now
 up to 37 species of butterfly, 3 species of amphibian, 9 species of
reptile, 148 species of bird, and 10 species of mammal - mixed results
compared to the Canyon Lakes of Lubbock with 34 species of butterfly, 1
species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 147 species of bird, and 11 species of mammal.  This
 brings me up to 74% of my goal of 50 species of
butterfly, 38% of my goal of 8 species of amphibian, 60%

of my goal of 15 species of reptile, 98% of my goal of 150 species of
bird, and 66% of my goal of 15 species of mammal for the county this year.

The day's list (with new additions to the list *sked)

10 Common Checkered Skippers
10 Common Sootywings
1 Eufala Skipper
7 Checkered Whites