[texbirds] FW: Re: FW: Laffite's Cove Saturday & Sunday

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 23:02:30 -0400

I concur with Lee - you really have to tick off a Cottonmouth before they get
nasty.

True Cottonmouth Story - in 1982, I was leading my second birding tour for
National Audubon - it was 11 Dutch birders in FL for two weeks.

The very first stop we made was alongside US 1 in the keys, to look at an
Osprey nest on a telephone pole alongside the road.   There was a dirt road
alongside Rt 1, so I stopped the van well away from the highway, and the crew
got out.   The leader had a 400mm telephoto lens, so he wandered away from the
van to get a better angle on the nest.

He stepped into the grasses, and a second later he called out "hey, I just
stepped on a snake!"   I went over to see what it was, and sure enough there
was a coiled up Cottonmouth!   It did not crawl away or act aggressively, but
it did open its mouth wide to show that bright white lining, as if to say "I
gave you your chance, now leave me alone!"    We did.

Boy, was I glad we didn't have to make a trip back to Miami with a snakebite
victim!

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX