[texbirds] FW: May 4-5 birds: BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, PURPLE SANDPIPER

  • From: Scott Atkinson <scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:11:20 -0700

Seem to be subscribed now David, saw your note

Scott

From: scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: May 4-5 birds: BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, PURPLE SANDPIPER
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 16:46:10 -0700

From: scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 04:42:44 -0700

From: scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: May 4-5 birds: BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, PURPLE SANDPIPER
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 12:23:26 -0700

Texbirds:

As planned managed to bird at the end of the week following OTC show.
Owing to a meeting in Ingleside, had a chance to visit Paradise Pond
early May 4.  The warbler action was disappointing, with just 7 species.
Other observers reported encountering WORM-EATING and BLACKPOLL
WARBLERS singly the day prior, however, at or near the drips.

Other PP migrants May 4 included an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, VEERY,
WARBLING VIREO, both regular ORIOLES and various other typical
migrant passerines.  The best bird encountered was a male BULLOCK'S
ORIOLE, first heard in song, then seen in flight, at about 8:15 a.m.  Two
other observers reported this bird from the day prior as well.  I also
heard a BROWN-CRESTED FLYCATCHER, but it is not clear to me whether
this is regular in the area.

A real surprise later on the San Luis Pass ferry was a PURPLE SANDPIPER
seen riding on a coastal tramper as we crossed by ferry.
The bird was on the stern, roosting on some rocky/sandy debris,
in the company of 8-9 RUDDY TURNSTONES.  The flock took off,
as the tramper cut across our bow, heading east out to open water.
This seemed an exceptionally late encounter for such a local rarity.
As light faded at dusk an hour later, I was able to spot one of
the two BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLERS at Don's Drip nearing dusk
at Smith Oaks, thanks to Nancy from Tulsa.

On May 5, the TROPICAL MOCKINGBIRD was the first bird found at 7 a.m.
at Sabine Woods.  Migrant warblers were real scarce, but DEER FLIES
were abundant in an exceptional way--in fact they ignored Cutter's
insect repellent (heavily applied, too) and followed me tirelessly in clouds,
landing relentlessly anywhere bare skin was available, and occasionally
biting.  The road south of the woods had many shorebirds and others;
two latish SAVANNAH SPARROWS were right along the road.  Later back
at Smith Woods I had about 7 warbler species, missing the harder ones,
thought other observers reported BLACKPOLL and CAPE MAY.  At one
point 30 HUDSONIAN GODWITS overflew Smith Oaks heading north.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens, WA
mail to:  scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx