[texbirds] FOS Ruby-throated Hummingbird Travis County

  • From: Chris Warren <warrech.gcwa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 11:43:25 -0500

Steel yourselves, this is a non-Brown Booby post! (I ran down there this
Wednesday and saw her but there have been plenty of other posts about that
ditty).

Yesterday when I got home (southwest Austin) from work I was happy to see
my FOS RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, a brilliant male, at our feeder. We have
had a single female BLACK-CHINNED at the feeder for the past month and a
half (when I put up the feeder) and there have been some scuffles between
the two (so much aggression in such a tiny package!).

According to eBird this is the first "departure date" for the county which
I assume means that no one else has reported a southbound RTHU for the
county yet this year. Not that others haven't seen any.

Chris Warren
Austin, TX