[texbirds] Estero: Bird Walk report-- no rarities

  • From: "John Yochum" <John.Yochum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:00:16 -0500

Today's Bird Walk was great fun with about 22 of us taking part!  There
were many nests and nestlings and fledglings to be seen.  It was a
little hot, so the second half back to Alligator Lake we cheated and
rode the quiet stealthy electric trams.  Water has been drawn down to
fight the cattails in the two biggest lakes (Ibis and Dowitcher) so
waterbird species are definitely down as well.   We camped out at the
Becard nest for a bit, but she did not emerge for her adoring fans:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
Plain Chachalaca (still many mohawked young)
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron

Green Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Common Gallinule

Killdeer (many young)
Black-necked Stilt
Least Sandpiper
Laughing Gull
Rock Pigeon

Eurasian Collared-Dove
White-winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
Common Ground-Dove

White-tipped Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Groove-billed Ani
Lesser Nighthawk (with just one egg)
Common Pauraque

Chimney Swift
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Green Kingfisher
Golden-fronted Woodpecker

Brown-crested Flycatcher
Great Kiskadee (with nestlings, near Becard)
Tropical Kingbird
Couch's Kingbird
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird

Western Kingbird
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo
Green Jay
Purple Martin

Bank Swallow
Black-crested Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Clay-colored Thrush
Northern Mockingbird

Long-billed Thrasher
Curve-billed Thrasher
European Starling
Common Yellowthroat
Olive Sparrow

Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Bronzed Cowbird
Brown-headed Cowbird

Orchard Oriole
Altamira Oriole
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

John Yochum
Park Ranger IV
Estero Llano Grande State Park
Weslaco TX
956-565-3919

Bird Walks Saturdays and Sundays at 8:30am
Butterfly/Dragonfly Walks, Fridays 1:30pm
Alligator Walks 11am to Noon
Tram Tours, Sundays 2pm-4pm, or call to arrange your own time
Full Moon Night Hike, July 5, August 2 (every full moon),  8-10pm
Kids' games & 5-mile Bike Ride, July 4
Camp-with-a-Ranger June 9-10, July 14-15, Aug 11-12
Join us on Facebook!