[texbirds] Mystery Gull @ Boca Chica Beach

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:52:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

In our search for the Red Knots (dipped), Joyce Davidson and I had a
strange gull near the river mouth; it superficially looked like a Lesser
Black-backed Gull (pale head and body with a dark mantle, which appeared to
have
several slaty-colored feathers), but the jizz was more Herring-like in
addition  to having a more bulky, bicolored bill.  Several pictures are on
today's
 report; if you want to bypass "the rest of the story" and go straight to
the  gull, just scroll down to the bottom.  Feedback appreciated!

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Big%20Year%202012/July/July%2015%20-%20Cannon%20R
oad.html_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/Big%20Year%202012/July/July%2015%20-%20Cannon%20Road.html)

The first part of the blog covers my lunch walk last Monday with the
Black-and-white Warbler at Santa Ana...

As always, the "back door" is through the main page (below) and following
the Big Year 2012 links!  Enjoy,

MB

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX