[texbirds] Eastern Towhee question

  • From: Marilyn Turnage <marilynturnage@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 14:44:35 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday, with all the snow and ice on the ground, I was inundated with birds
(17 species) including a beautiful Eastern Towhee with the Fox, Chipping,
White-throated and Harris Sparrows. I know I have a Spotted Towhee in the more
heavily wooded portion of my property and I have seen these two different
Towhees together on a nearby trail.
My question is if they do hybridize in the overlap area, do the offspring
always look like one or the other or something a little different.  This has
probably been studied, but the ones here in Denton County always look
absolutely Eastern or absolutely Spotted. I will say I have never seen an
Eastern male here, however, only the females.
Marilyn Turnage
Flower Mound (Denton County)