[texbirds] Eared Grebe in Brazos Bend?

  • From: Vicki Crutchfield <vicki_crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

 I know it is quite late for this particular bird, but I honestly can not
fathom it being anything else.

Bird was similar in size to the nearby Piedbills, so too large for a Least, and
too small for a Horned.

Bird was wet from diving, but the head was all dark except for what appeared to
be some lighter colored individual feathers behind the eye and ear region. a
bit of flash of longer feathers at one point when it was preening but lost that
when it dived again shortly.

The eye appeared to be red, but I only got a quick look before it dived and
then came up too far away in the pond for me get another look.

Bird was on the right side of the bridge when I first approached to observatory
pond around 5:00 pm.

Vicki Crutchfield
Live Houston and work in Galveston, TX

Cell : 409-789-1178