[texbirds] Re: Dusky-capped Photographed at Ped. Falls SP

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 15:06:28 -0500

This morning the bird was heard by Jane Tillman and located by Terry
Banks.  There were 5 or 6 people that got brief but good looks at the
bird.  I have posted a few pics  here
http://ronnielynnkramer.smugmug.com/Birds-by-Family-Group/Flycatchers/Duskycapped-Flycatcher
and will upload a few recordings of the vocalizations asap.
The bird seems to be skulking low in the brush, not moving around very
much, softly calling.  It is best located by listening to for the soft
calls and then moving toward it slowly.  It was around for a good while,
but hard to see, down in the brush.  It could be heard calling every 5 or
10 minutes, but you have to listen for it.

From the blinds there is a trail to the south.  The trail turns west and
then splits with the main part of the trail turning south again.  The bird
is hanging out in the brush between this trail and the road.  If you are
stand where the trail splits (heading west along side a fence behind the
blinds and corral, and south to the horse trail) then the bird was in the
area to the south and east of you.

Thanks to all who have posted regarding this bird.

Ronnie Kramer
Pedernales Falls SP
Blanco County

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Mark Lockwood <Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx