[texbirds] Dusky-capped Flycatcher @ Sabal Palm

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dbenn65010@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 17:51:08 -0500

This morning at Sabal Palm Sanctuary in Brownsville the birding was excellent.
The highlights included the Dusky-capped Flycatcher which flew into bare
branches almost overhead and called several times.  We then ran into the bird
twice more within the hour, once in a willow over the resaca where, to my
surprise, it was joined by a Verdin, only the third I have seen at Sabal Palm.
The flycatcher was in the southeast corner of the trail system.  We also had a
Golden-crowned Kinglet at the entrance to the old parking lot and a male Hooded
Oriole in the butterfly garden.  We started the day by flushing a Great-horned
Owl out of a palm at the corner of the visitor's center (where they nested last
year).  It flew to a nearby palm where it sat in the open for ten minutes or so
before sidling around the palm and out of sight.  We had obscured looks at a
male Green Kingfisher at the resaca blind along with a couple of Black-crowned
Night Herons and Least Grebes.  A flock of insectivores included three or four
Black-throated Green Warblers and a Blue-headed Vireo and a Solitary Vireo as
well as the usual titmice and gnatcatchers.  The Dusky-capped Flycatcher may
have been associating with this flock.  We had a couple of Nashville Warblers
at the river overlook fly from the Mexico side into the US.
David Benn
Brownsville