[texbirds] David Dauphin

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:35:14 +0000

I have known David longer than I can remember. He was bigger than life. Warm.
Friendly, but boy could you get him riled up if you tried. You could have more
fun with David in an hour of birding than most can provide in a full day. In
the 70s, he was our "go to guy" for getting the owls on the Cypress Creek
Christmas Bird Count. He could sound more like a Barred Owl than a Barred Owl
can. I think that was because he talked to them in his Baytown backyard for so
many years. He would drive all the way in from Baytown to do owl programs for
me when I was at the Nature Discovery Center in Bellaire. He wowed the crowd
every time with his big voice belting out Barred Owl, as well as other owls. He
never failed to follow up that program by whistling-up a screech-owl for the
group in the park. When he retired from Exxon and moved from Baytown to the
Valley I was incredulous. I asked him how could he leave those Barred Owls?
Obviously he had another chapter to write as a naturalist and his and Jan's
website is testament to that. I visit the site every time I consider heading to
the Valley to check out spots that are new to me or sites I have not visited in
recent years. Sadly I have done a poor job of keeping up with my old friend. I
sent him an e-mail the day he died, asking how he was doing since I had not
seen him post lately. At least I know he is doing well now, breathing deeply of
heaven's fresh air.

Rest in peace my friend. Texas' wide open spaces are a bit emptier with you
gone. But we are richer for having known you.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324