[texbirds] Curiosity - Poss. hybrid White-throated x Song Sparrow

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:10:49 -0600

TexBirders,

A very odd-looking sparrow popped up on a brushy roadside this morning in
Leander, TX.  It basically looks like the head and upperparts of a winter
White-throated Sparrow were attached to the breast and belly of a typical,
boldly-spotted Song Sparrow.  No photos were obtained by me, but I sketched the
bird and have alerted some other locals who may be able to photograph this
individual.  The spotting on the underparts is much clearer and bolder (and
collected into a central breast splotch) than in any juvenile White-throats
that I’ve seen images of.

The bird is along CR 273 at a bridge adjacent to SCS Reservoir #2.  Latilong is
30.5763N, -97.8454W, in the edge of the woods on the west side of the road.
The bird responded actively to playback of WTSP songs and calls.

This hybrid combination has been reported before (Auk 1961 vol. 78:627-632) and
one was videotaped in Ontario, Canada in March 2010.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at