[texbirds] Crow Pellets etc.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 12:31:20 -0500

   It has taken me several years but I finally got a crow pellet, at least
for a minute or two...I was watching one of the guys on the feeder and one
started making the those strange motions they do when up-chucking so I
waited and bingo, there was the prize!   I went out there fast to run the
crow off so I could get the pellet, because they always destroy the
evidence, on the feeders anyway.  I got a few photos and went inside for
something like a coin, or pen for scale and in probably less than a minute
Crow was back on the feeder and the pellet was in particles...Interesting
interesting behavior and pellet content especially all the shiny little
quartz pieces of gravel...You could say it was jeweled..Well At least this
time I got photos   You can see one on the blog below

  Bill Carr and I ran some points this morning in Bastrop State Park, The
Hairy Woodpeckers were still  there but flighty as always and pretty
quiet.  Sam I hope you guys had luck, wish I could have stuck around with
you.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist