[texbirds] Belted Kingfisher at BBSP

  • From: Greg Lavaty <greglavaty@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 23:24:01 -0700 (PDT)

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This afternoon while visiting Brazos Bend State Park I observed and
photographed a female Belted Kingfisher
near the observation tower at 40-Acre Lake.  According to the upper Texas coast
checklist this bird is
rare.  I don’t know if this bird is news to anyone but I found it interesting
to see in July.
A couple of shots of the bird can be viewed here:

http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/image/144580397

http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/image/144580396

I didn’t see anything else that was unexpected though there
were lots of birds around to see including Painted and Indigo Bunting, Northern
Parula, Prothonotary Warbler, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Acadian Flycatcher, Great
Crested Flycatcher, lots of Least Bitterns and Orchard Orioles, Eastern
Kingbirds, Summer Tanager and plenty of the other usual suspects.

Overall it was a very nice afternoon to be birding at BBSP.

A few more photos from the afternoon can be viewed here:
http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/new

Greg Lavaty
http://www.texastargetbirds.com/
Sugar Land, TX