[texbirds] Corpus and Port A 19-20 April, empid and no legs to stand on

  • From: Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

As has been widely reported, Friday was excellent on the coast. With John
Wilson in from CA, we chased the front and were pleased with 26 species of
warblers on Friday, most of which have been reported here, but include 3
Swainson's, 2 Worm-eating, Kentucky, Prothonotary, and Wilson's at Blucher; 4
Blackpolls (incl a female), male Cape May, Prothonotary, and Yellow-throated at
Packery; Blue-winged at the Port A Birding Center; and male Golden-winged and
male Chestnut-sided at Paradise. Quite the show. Other highlights were over
1200 Franklin's Gulls, many Broad-winged and Swainson's Hawks, an Olive-sided
Flycatcher at Paradise and a flyover flock of 7 late siskins at Pollywog. The
winds laid down before the weather monkeys had predicted and the birding
Saturday was far reduced, although we did add the male Canada that others found
at Blucher.

While at Paradise on the 19th it was interesting watching and listening to
empids be turned into so many different species. There were 3 different
Acadians and one, in particular was causing problems. I walked certain people
through the ID and the challenges involved, but would continue to hear people
call one bird in question a Least or a Traill's. While it is about time for a
Least, the first Traill's are still not expected yet (yes, I know; they don't
read books.......). There was an early Acadian two weeks ago at this same
location that also was being called a Least, so I thought I would share some ID
features. The bird I was watching that had an identity crisis had its
appearance impacted by shade and foliage (as often is the case). The result was
a bird that had a round eye ring, or seemingly had none at all; or one that was
greener in some views than others, but it did seem to be the eye ring that I
would hear people discuss. There were a few people who were eager to learn and
were understandably confused as they were hearing different things from
different people. There were others who were a bit loud and unaware of their
limitations that just did not inspire the same amount of help. In short,
Acadian is a large structured (long bill, long primary extension and big
tailed) empid, green above with a thin eye ring that sometimes looks impressive
and other times is seemingly absent. They are the most pewee-looking of the
empids, yet other times have a more rounded crown like a Yellow-bellied. Part
of the ID problem is to understand variation and what is expected. A Least
would not be as green (usually with brownish or grayish tones on the head and
back), but as with the Acadian, these features vary based on lighting. What
does not vary is their big headed, stubbier bill, shorter primary extension,
and shorter tail. They not only impart a different look, they are usually quite
vocal (I never heard a whit at Paradise, but did hear Acadians explosive call).
The empid show starts heating up soon, with early May really being the
beginning of the good variety but the peak of this variety coming during the
rest of that month (with some into June). Now, the first Leasts will announce
themselves, so be on the lookout.

Lastly, a word about tripods at Paradise. At some point, the insensitivity and
seeming oblivious behavior of some of the photographers is going to be an
issue. A favorite set-up spot is in the corner looking back at a water feature.
Over the last two days, there was always a tripod in that corner and this was
one of the largest I have seen. On Saturday, once could not walk with a normal
gait without kicking the leg. It is incomprehensible to me that someone who
completed elementary school (where socialization is a prime goal) would take up
a space like this in a boardwalk that is rather narrow and not be
self-conscious about the impact on others. I think most birders are too kind to
say anything directly but I overheard 4 groups of people muttering once away
from this area. The insensitivity reached its peak when the person with the
tripod left it there and took his other camera to photograph the obliging
Golden-winged Warbler, as I heard someone musing about cutting off the legs,
leaving him a monopod, since there was no one at the remaining tripod. Saving
his spot and continuing to put up a roadblock were logical for this person. As
I said to him when I walked by "Amazing." Most of us love looking at great
pictures, but I have seen this behavior create problems elsewhere and if the
abusers do not figure out how to police themselves, there going to have an
issue here. Maybe photographers need to note on their wonderful pictures
whether they were obtained in a birder-friendly manner.  Paradise is a
wonderful place to bird (and thanks to those who have made it so), but it is
quite the tidy, confined area. Even walking by that corner when birds are
present without tripods can be a traffic jam . Leaving tripods in the way is a
recipe for trouble. Use a monopod or some other stabilizing means. Use common
sense.

Matt Heindel
Fair Oaks Ranch, TX