[texbirds] Corpus W. Kingbirds (local interest)

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:21:58 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Western Kingbirds that nested for a couple years outside the Tower of Pizza on Northwest Blvd. in Calallen did not make a reappearance this year -- or so I thought. Was putting air in my daughter's tires today at the Stripes station kitty-corner to the restaurant and heard, then saw, a newly-fledged WeKi crying for its supper at the entrance to the #1 storage unit behind the Stripes.

Heard at least one other baby in the nest and a parent eventually came and fed the one on the ground. They are nesting in one of the wooden telephone poles along FM 1889 to the east of the Stripes. Those poles have parallel supports at the top which evidently make for the best nesting sites.

I'm glad they are still in the neighborhood!

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi) Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds