[texbirds] Re: Concerning Hummingbird migration

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139" for DMARC)
  • To: Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx, brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:22:59 -0400

Here in our yard in Baytown the numbers have been the lowest by a long ways
than we have ever seen here living here for 14 years. Most days there are
no more than 20 or so out there. We had one day probably 8-10 days ago we
had 40-50 and usually we have 150-200 at this time. Can;t help but wonder if
the same East winds that blew a lot of birds this way
David Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master Naturalist
FeatherFest 2016 Birding Program Leader
dhanson139@xxxxxxx
did not move the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds farther West.

In a message dated 9/23/2015 3:48:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi all -

I was working in my Corpus Christi yard most of the morning, and there
were a few hummers present. I currently have 12 feeders out. I came in for
lunch at about noon, and a few minutes later while I was eating I looked
out and there were a few dozen hummingbirds swirling around the back yard!
Talk about turning on the faucet - some mechanism brought them in!

As I write this at 3:45, the numbers are lower, but still more than this
morning.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX