[texbirds] Colorado Co. - 6/22

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:39:00 -0500

TexBirders--

I took a long day-trip to explore and experience the June doldrums of
Colorado County (Columbus, Eagle Lake, etc.).  Not surprisingly, my
13-hr effort netted a paltry 66 species, including one warbler, one
sparrow (literally, one each), and zero non-nesting shorebirds.
Parts of the county are particularly dry; water resources in the form
of marshes and prairie potholes were few and far between.  (Of
course, viewing access to the abundant water features in the gravel
quarries is almost non-existent.) Attwater Prairie-Chicken NWR was
essentially bone dry.

Other than a hen Wood Duck in the early a.m. in the oak woods N of
Columbus, it took me until late afternoon to find any other
waterfowl, consisting of a mixed flock of 2 Black-bellied Wh-Ducks
and one Mottled.  The usual pasture and rice paddy egrets were
abundant enough, but I had only 4 White-faced Ibis all day and I
missed White Ibis and Great Blue Heron!  A single drying marsh on
Calhoun Road W of Eagle Lake had a concentration of Common Moorhens
but not enough water to float them.  I found no rails or grebes
anywhere.

The least expected bird was probably an Osprey which was perched on a
power pole near the Pintail Hunt Club (a.k.a. Kallina Reservoir, S of
Rock Island).  I had no access to that reservoir itself and nearby
Crooked Creek Lake (= Lake Sheridon) had only a single egret on it.
The LCRA "plant road" on the S edge of Eagle Lake was closed and
locked; presumably that site is available on week days (?).

I had a single Belted Kingfisher on a pond N of Columbus, a family of
Pileated Woodpeckers at LCRA's Beason's Park on the Colorado River at
Columbus, and a pair of Red-headeds on Reese Lane NE of Columbus late
in the day.

So now I've seen how slow it can be; I can't wait for the Fall
migration to get started!

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX