[texbirds] Collared Plover YES

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 15:42:46 -0500

Hi, all!

The Birder Patrol trip was a roaring success as the Collared Plover was even
closer to us than last time, and was visible for most of the two hours we
were there - lots of folks got crippling looks! The white morph Reddish
Egret also made an appearance, along with Dan Jones' Least Terns from the
previous week, and swimming Black-crowned Night Herons that provided comedy
relief. A stunning breeding-plumaged Avocet was a life bird for one of the
participants, and also had lots of Gull-billed and Black Terns along with
singleton Snowy and Wilson's Plovers. Roseate Spoonbills were nice to get,
and Tim Brush found a Western Sandpiper in amongst the Leasts, but I was too
busy shooting the plover and missed it. J

We then headed over to Brushline Road in hopes of spotting the Purple
Gallinules. Norma took us north on FM 493 to show us a wet spot, but the
wet spot had dried up, so we hung a left on SR 186, then another left on
Brushline. The wetlands are hard to miss and full of gallinule-friendly
vegetation, and we did indeed hear them (along with coots and Common
Gallinules and Pied-billed Grebes), but only a handful of us happened to be
looking in the right place when one of them briefly chased another out of
the "stuff", and then back in again. L After logging a Swainson's Hawk
acting very much like a harrier, we then headed up to the very north end of
Brushline, and while the water-lily-filled wetlands looked great, no
gallinules were to be had (plus we had to cut things short a couple of times
so that the locals could get through.). We made a brief stop in the area
where I've had Botteri's Sparrows in the past, but no go; had a Summer
Tanager singing at the intersection, however.

Pictures can be seen here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/July/Hargill%20
Part%202.html

.or here:

http://tinyurl.com/njyjojo

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo

Least Grebe Tachybaptus dominicus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Green Heron Butorides virescens

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni

Purple Gallinule Porphyrio martinicus

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

Collared Plover Charadrius collaris

Wilson's Plover Charadrius wilsonia

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Wilson's Phalarope Phalaropus tricolor

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Black Tern Chlidonias niger

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus

Groove-billed Ani Crotophaga sulcirostris

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Brown-crested Flycatcher Myiarchus tyrannulus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Couch's Kingbird Tyrannus couchii

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

Cave Swallow Petrochelidon fulva

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Lesser Goldfinch Spinus psaltria

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

71 SPECIES